Sunday, May 26, 2013

MeFoto GlobeTrotter TRAVEL Tripod/Monopod review

MeFoto GlobeTrotter TRAVEL Tripod/Monopod
MeFoto by BenroUSA.com

A2350Q2K   GlobeTrotter   Color:Black, Aluminum
USD$ 209.00  ...  1/5/14 update it is now us$184 and FREE shipping via Amazon Prime
After almost two years with it , I still LOVE It !
Did I mention it has a 5-YEAR Warrentee !  :)
This is about VALUE.

On Amazon PRIME (Free Ship)  ... Read the Reviews :
http://www.amazon.com/Mefoto-A2350Q2K-GlobeTrotter-Travel-Tripod/product-reviews/B00BETIVUC/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

MeFoto GrobeTrotter site:
http://www.mefoto.com/products/globetrotter.aspx

I should say first, buying from them On-Line with Free shipping  took longer (during ship) than say from Amazon. They shipped it out the next day.  but it took 20 days to get to me.  fyi: when I tried to buy it from  Amazon or B&H it was sold out.

This is a "Quality" product!
And a great Value.
Will even go "over the top" and say it's a good match for my RX1 , solid and has a feel of quality.
The GlobeTrotter Tripod will not have a issue with my D800 or a99 ... even with a 70-200mm f2.8 VRII
So here's what I did as a "Test".  Attached the plate to the bottom of the "body" of my D800+70-200mm f2.8 VRII (normally on this combo I would mount on the lens) ...  put it on the Tripod head ... and it all held. :)    ... that head is not bad.

Folds small, sturdy and even has a NICE slightly padded travel case.  This is "not" your normal whimpy give-away case. It's actually something you could really use.  And it looks good too.

Everything about it feels like a well made product.
Even the way the Monopod comes off and the way it screws together,   and how the spare pieces can be attached back to the remaining middle section. (Love it)
Also the included spikes. (nice touch).  It even has a zip section in the case for it.

Bought the aluminum because I like a little weight on my tripods (sometimes I don't have with me something to weight it down), and I don't want to feel bad when I trash it ...

7/21/14 update:  Some have told me the Carbon Fiber version (not sure if the manf. have updated or corrected) was a little shaky for Landscape.

I mostly handhold  ... but this tripod (the Metal version) have been Great for Travel  ...
Great for MirrorLess ...  for the RX1 and a7  "series" #Sony Cameras  ... a7r, a7s  ... also used the Monopod with the a77 m2 + 70-200mm G SSM2.
Shot the two RX1 videos from my room in LV  using the Tripod.   but, the rest of the trip I shot the RX1 handheld , and at iso's  I normally try to avoid   :).
http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/28812065_ggbNN6#!i=2572573152&k=vLVWk5B

And yes, I have used it on my D800+Grip+70-200mm f2.8 VRII

The Monopod is a GREAT IDEA on this small Travel Tripod.
and would not have a problem using it on a PRO sports shoot for a 300mm f2.8 lens. (I would take off the head (not use it) and attach directly to the lens) ...

* You GET a "Arca-Swiss" standard Ball  HEAD with it
* Spikes
* a Very Good Padded Bag what will Last
* and a Monopod  when you need one , that is built in.
* Hook is included to weigh down the tripod with our camera bag.
*** This list of  features ,  you will NOT get  at this price for quality "like this" from the top brands.
It's all the small things that make this a Value.

Weight : 4.6 lb
Load: 26.5 lb
Folded 16.1 in.
Sections: 5
Max Height: 64.2 in.

I am 5'10" and the height is good.
If I trash this one , or someone steals it ... I would buy another.  That is my highest praise.  :)


Hope this helps someone,

Ross Hamamura
The Tourist of Light
www.RDHphoto.net

5 comments:

Chris said...

This is fantastic!

Praveen Ladwani said...

I own a Nikon D7000 with a Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 VRII len (total weight 5 lbs).

I have shortlisted the MeFoto GlobeTrotter tripod but I see two contradictory things on MeFoto website.

1. The product overview page says "As the largest of the MeFOTO family, the GlobeTrotter holds larger DSLR bodies, and up to a 70-200 f/4 lens, steady." So, if the lens is 300mm+, it will not stay steady?

2. And the specs page says "Maximum Load 26.4 lbs".

Could you please comment on this? Is globe trotter good for handling my camera + lens. Also, in near future, I also plan to purchase the Nikon 800E camera + Nikon 200-400mm F4 lens.

Praveen Ladwani said...

I own a Nikon D7000 with a Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 VRII len (total weight 5 lbs).

I have shortlisted the MeFoto GlobeTrotter tripod but I see two contradictory things on MeFoto website.

1. The product overview page says "As the largest of the MeFOTO family, the GlobeTrotter holds larger DSLR bodies, and up to a 70-200 f/4 lens, steady." So, if the lens is 300mm+, it will not stay steady?

2. And the specs page says "Maximum Load 26.4 lbs".

Could you please comment on this? Is globe trotter good for handling my camera + lens. Also, in near future, I also plan to purchase the Nikon 800E camera + Nikon 200-400mm F4 lens.

Regards
Praveen
http://www.praveenladwani.com

Ross Hamamura said...

Praveen,
I use the Globe Trotter Travler ALUMINUM. It is slightly heavyer. But still great for travel. My D800 + Nikon 79-200mm f2.8 VRII mounted directly to Lens workes. I do not use the lens foot. When shooting a 300mm f2.8 I always use the monopod ONLY, so I can carry easily over my shoulder (because I will always have the 70-200 too). That works. I have mounted the 300mm f2.8 + D800 + Grip to the lens on one shoot and it was Ok. But I have to mention that the head was loose so I could track PRO Triathlon Bikers. and it was only for aprox 3 hours.

Ross Hamamura said...

p.s. when I say the head was loose for the PRO Bike shoot I should mention that I did that on purpose so I could track. Imho, for a FREE Head it is Very Good. For my uses it is good enough.

But my main thing is NOT Landscaoe. And I should mention that a landscaoe photog told me he did not like the Carbon Fiber version, he felt it was not solid enough with legs fully extended.

I feel it is ok with my heavy Kata bag at the end of the provided Hook. My demands on this travel tripod could be less (than). And the "travel" part higher on my priority list. How you balance your needs might be different.