Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Kelia Moniz @ North Shore

Have not shot surf in a very long time.  So, when the opportunity to go out with the Eyes of Hawaii Photography Club, to shoot and hang with (PRO Surf Photographer, Surfer mag) Tom Servais.  Well, I had to wake up early to make the drive to Pipeline (the meet up spot).

Early morning the surf report was basically 1-2  ... was not expecting much  ... so, my plan was to shoot something on the beach or close to shore with my  Nikon 70-200mm f2.8 , and just have fun.
Knowing full well the last time I was at Pipeline I had a 600mm f2.8 and a 1.4 TC (imho, what you need)

So, here we are not expecting much in the low surf  ...  and then, Tom recognizes Kelia Moniz out right in front of us.  Well ....    that changed things LOL   (as I kicked myself for not having something longer, lens wise)

My go to sports lens , the 70-200 f2.8 VRII  "Rocked it"  as usual (normally, I am pretty close to the action ... did I say "All Access Pass?" lol) ... So today, anything out in the Surf had to be heavily croped.   Or I had to shoot something up close to shore.   Which Kelia came thru for me. She was always natural, beautiful and genuinely happy to be out there in the surf (you could feel it).

She made everyone's day (with a camera), at that location.  :)

Normally I shoot f5.6  @600mm  (and maybe 900 with a TC)  ... today I was at f4 , because of Kelia (girl).   And unfortunately, only 200mm ... So, I had to make the most of it.  (that means a lot of standing at the shoreline lol.

More images in a gallery here:
(I also think the images look better in this gallery, in Slide Show mode= more res)
http://www.rdhphoto.net/Other/Kelia-Moniz-plus-North-Shore/15160159_FKMxC#1133819528_osvbi


a few of the Eyes of Hawaii Photography Club , Kelia Moniz and Tom Servias on the board in front.

Hope you enjoy this ...
Ross Hamamura / Tourist of Light
http://www.rdhphoto.net/

No comments: