Review by Ross Hamamura
First let me just say that I was never impressed with the original “Plastic” LCD protector on what I feel has been the BEST LCD (3 inch and 920k), and has been the high end standard since the Nikon D3 (Aug 2007, wow has it been that long?) and is also the same 3 inch LCD on my D700.
“This” GGS LCD Screen Protector is highly touted (owned by many Nikon owners) on the web/forums and is made of Optical Glass (NOT Plastic) ... Love it when other's share a great product with me, and is why I am sharing this with you (passing it on... ) …
So, it was a no brainer for me to order two(2) sets… and it was Cheap! And fyi, it arrived very Fast , within days.
Only $8.75 each when you buy two via eBay (that includes shipping to Hawaii) My total for two(2) sets (each set has a Top and Main LCD protector) … including shipping it was $ 17.50 ...
I bought it from a Top-Rated eBay Seller ... BHS-Photo , who has a Well Deserved 100 % positive feedback .. They shipped this item FAST. and only took a few days to get to Hawaii.
* This information is directly from the GGS LCD Screen Protector Package:
"GGS professional LCD screen protector is characterized by high transparency, anti-scrape, anti-bump, anti-aging and easy installation. It completely breaks through the design concept of the previous products by using raw material of ultra thin optical glass and special processing. It is more integrated with six layers protection as well.
1. It uses a 0.5mm ultra thin optical glass with at least 90% transmittance. With high transparency, the image is displayed in focus when applied.
2. Its hardness and durability is as high as mohs scale 8H and its elasticity and flexibility is 4kg/m, preventing from being rubbed, scraped and bumped.
3. It will not damage the LCD screen at all with the anti-crack layer and its anti-bump degree has reached 8kg/cm.
4. It is well sealed by 3M double side adhesive tape which is not easy to be unglued. It is easy to be Installed without being cut. There is no air bubble or angle occurs when applied. It is not affected by temperature or humidity.
5. It prevents the LCD screen to be infracted by sweat stain, smear, acid and alkali elements and prolongs the life of the screen.
6. It can be removed and be reused if the glutinosity hasn’t been damaged.”
1) Protective Layer
2) Transparent Layer
3) Color Layer
4) Anti-Crack Layer
5) Protective layer
6) Adhesive Layer
My Thoughts about the GGS LCD Optical Glass protector for the D700:
* Love the fact that it’s made from Optical Glass … imho, it’s Better in soooo many ways vs the original Nikon plastic protector.
Have “never” used a LCD protector before , but, this one I would buy again and use on even Future Camera’s.
* It does seem durable, and the multi Layer idea seems to be a good one.
* Have had prior experience with 3M glue tape, and it’s Great! (used it to attach plexi signs to store display racks, some are still going after 20 years) So, the fact that they are using 3M glue tape on this is great. The 3M glue back , also allows you to make a small (very small) adjustment to the Fit … but, will hold solid.
* The FIT for the D700 is perfect. The pieces are made exactly for the D700 imho.
* Was amazed at how “Easy” it was to put the GGS on the D700. … and that there was NO Air Bubbles to take out. (and I had to put on four pieces)
My advice on installation:
1) Clean off (with Micro fiber) and blow with air, the LCD
2) Practice, what you are going to do, before you peel off the back glue side … remember this is VERY sticky 3M Glue tape.
3) I lined up the Top edge and just flipped it down
4) After the GGS was on the LCD, I moved it slightly into a perfect Fit over the original LCD … note: you are not going to be able to make big moves , so it’s best to do it right the first time. (or close to it)
5) Imho, it would NOT be a good idea to take it off and try to do it again. (regardless of that the box says) Because the glue is strong and you could crack the thin glass layers. (I think once the GGS is attached, the layers might actually help in the durability.
This is a great product that is amazingly easy to install, at a great price. Shipped quickly and cheaply. (even to Hawaii).
My best endorsement for this is … I have never used a LCD protector before, BUT, after this GGS LCD Optical Glass Protector , I would buy this for ANY and ALL camera LCD’s I have in the Future.
Love it when a product “Just Works” … as advertised … and does it cheaply.
Hope this helps someone,