How to configure your A7r as a Fast Street Shooter
2) Set C1 button ... Custom Key Settings > Custom Button 1 = Focus Magnifier ... this is your Zoom button
2/24/14 Rev. this is my current Back Button AF and Zoom on C1 Settings :
* Benefit at this point is you have Focus Peaking , and the equivalent of DMF, because you have MF.
And you can still move the AF point with a OK center push (if you Center button is config to Standard)
And the Half Press is DEAD , this prevents any Half Press from messing up what you have already done.
*AND shows you Focus DISTANCE ! (this is useful) ... I have "Focus Magnif. Time to - NO LIMIT. That lets me take my time
AND I go back to Full View with a simple half shutter "tap" of the shutter button. (and it does NOT re-AF, *this is important)
(fyi: your focus peaking is still there when you ZOOM IN, but might not be strong enough ... imho it is a bit of a bug , if you saw a Bunch of peaking "at full screen" it should not disappear "Zoomed in". (or require you to have peaking set a High)
* All that is missing for me is a CAF option that would require an additional FW change of a " AF-ON ONLY" option , which would Turn OFF the AF on Half Shutter and allow you to configure CAF and trigger on the back button , for AF and Re-compose, AND give you CAF on demand. (but I would like to see CAF with PDAF on the primary AF point but CDAF on Helper points around it. A Dynamic AF CAF point. Not sure why a SAF point could not also do that and have Helper AF points. (menu choice for how much, small area or larger)
Now for those with Manual Focus Lens or non FE lens ... How do you ZOOM Quickly:
4) Double click the c1 this is the ZOOM IN ...
* If you "only" Click c1 "once" you get the Focus BOX that you can move anywhere.
* Click another time ... you Zoom in
* Click another time ... you Zoom in MORE
5) Check the focus, fine tune Focus using the Focus ring if needed, and fire away.
* I normally have Focus Magnif. Time to NO LIMIT.
This is great for Tripod / Product stuff
The Flexible Benefit of this SET UP is ... it will work on basically ANY LENS. on FE or A-Mount SSM lens mounted on the LAEA4 , or even lens that do not support DMF.
Key Benefit also is it kills the Half press AF that could mess up what you are doing.
*** DO WHAT MANY "STREET SHOOTERS DO" ... Manual Mode , EXPOSURE AND FOCUS
* go with f8 (with a 35mm f2.8 ZA FE I might choose f4)
* and a fast shutter setting ...
* float the ISO ( w/ Exposure Comp. wheel to adjust exposure) with AUTO ISO
(this is where a Minimum Shutter speed setting would help , because during the day your shutter speeds could float higher) ...
*** AND, set a MANUAL focus at a DISTANCE that works for you.
* Let Depth of Field (DOF) be your Friend and Hyperfocal Distance give you a Distance Range where it will be IN FOCUS , and you can Fire away " QUICKLY "
Bacically ZONE Focus , "with" EVF/LIVE VIEW "Focus PEAKING" confirmation. The Focus Peaking confirmation is a important AID to the Zone Focus style.
Having said that, in time you will depend on it less and less.
*** THIS Manual Focus set up also allows you to get Faster FPS (Frames Per Second) via a "Speed Priority" Set up.
Then you use the PEAKING to show you when your Focus is Locked.
But after a while you will know ... "just" by Distance.
I also might hold the shutter at a Half Shutter , when I know a shot is coming up.
TIPS OF THE DAY LINKS:
The Tourist of Light
SONY ALPHA Camera Ambassador
Please follow me on Instagram: @RDHphoto
Facebook Sony ALPHA - TALK Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SonyAlphaTalk/
SONY Community ID: Hawaii-Geek